Ebonyi State Ministry of Culture and Tourism
Historically, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism was created by His Excellency, Dr. Sam. O. Egwu, in June 2000 in order to give impetus to the development of culture and tourism potential that abounds in the State. The Ministry is presently located along Enugu-Abakaliki Express Road, just in front of Democracy Estate, Abakaliki.
The Ministry has the following parastatals attached to her:
- Ebonyi State Council for Arts and Culture
- Ebonyi State Tourism Board
- Ebonyi Hotels Abakaliki
- Ebonyi Hotels Afikpo
List of Tourist Attractions in Ebonyi State
Ebonyi State is indeed blessed with many places endowed with naturally beautiful features. The environment is unique in nature and, hence, attracts people for sightseeing and relaxation.
Some of these places are fully developed while others are receiving attention from both the State and Federal governments.
The following are some of the tourism destinations within the State.
- The Abakaliki Green Lake: It is located right inside Government House. Small huts are built there for relaxation and for visitors to admire the many wonders of nature.
- The Abakaliki Golf Course: The environment is naturally beautiful and equipped for games by golf players. It is equally located at Abakaliki, the State capital.
- The Amusement Park: This park is wonderfully made as a relaxation spot especially for children. It is well equipped to serve the purpose. It is a place you cannot afford to miss as a visitor to Ebonyi State. It is also located at Abakaliki, the capital of Ebonyi State.
- Amanchor Cave: The cave Is located at Amanchor in Afikpo South. The Cave is about 4 kilometers long. Plans are underway to develop this cave, as it is capable of attracting visitors to the site from within and outside the country.
- The Golden Sand Beaches at Ndibe, Ozizza and Unwana (all in Afikpo zone of the State) and Oferekpe Beach in Ikwo LGA of the State are all tourism destinations in the State.
- Mkpuma Ekwa Oku Rocks: These are rocks naturally shaped like eggs. These rock formations have been there for ages. They are located at Ndieze Community in Izzi Local Government Area.
- Okposi Salt Lake: This is located at Okposi in Ohaozzara LGA. The economic importance of this lake is enormous. It has served as the economic base for most of the rural women in the area.
- Abakaliki Greater Rice Husks: This is located at Abakaliki, the State capital, precisely at the rice mill industry. During rice production, the rice husks are piled into heaps, which makes them look like sand dunes in the desert.
- Slave Market/Route at Ezza North/South: This is one of the legacies of the infamous trade on human cargo that took place In Africa.
List of Hotels in Ebonyi State
The tourism industry cannot thrive in any given society unless there are well-developed hotel services. For this reason, the state has embarked on the development of hotels. The following are good hotels of international standard.
- Grace Court Hotel & Suites: This hotel has about sixty-five (65) developed suites with a bar and restaurant that offers continental African and Chinese cuisines. A conference hall and other facilities are provided. The hotel is located at the heart of the State capital, Abakaliki.
- Ebonyi Hotels: The hotel is located just beside the Government House Abakaliki. This hotel has 37 furnished rooms. There is also Ebonyi Hotels Afikpo. These two hotels are state government-owned.
Other hotels in the state include:
- Metro view Hotel
- Peoples’ Resort Hotel
- Adig Suites
- Salt Spring Hotel
- Eagle Royal Hotel, etc.
All of these Hotels, except Ebonyi Hotel Afikpo, are located at the State capital, Abakaliki.
Share with friends